[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-ct.1368.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:52:46 UTC 2021

Hi All,

   one thing people may be missing here is that identity hashes are not unique.  Just because two objects have the same identity hash does not imply they are the same object.  In V3 the identityHash field is 11 bits and identity hash’s range from 0 to 2,047. In Spur the identityHash field is 22 bits and identity hash’s range from 1 to 4,194,303. With the 64-bit system one can easily create 4 million instances of some class and in doing so create two distinct objects with the same identityHash.  Including the identityHash in basic print strings, at least for me, carries a false implication that the identityHash uniquely identifies an object.  It does not.