[squeak-dev] Discussing a new design of partially Squeak-based OS

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Sun Feb 21 17:03:07 UTC 2021

Hi Liam,

snip...
>*Ouch*.
>
>Still, it's early days. I also think it might be more relevant to compare to RAM prices than flash SSD prices.

I agree.  If the object database can fit in the 512GB (and the OS and Smalltalk VM are changed to do what is needed)
$9,000 isn't that bad.  Being able to use Smalltalk collections in an object that would ordinarily be an SQL table row
and require complex SQL tables and code, makes the cost of the memory look cheep.

Lou
--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.