[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] The Trunk: System-codefrau.1205.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 08:20:32 UTC 2021

> On Jan 1, 2021, at 9:43 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> On a Pi 4 -
>>
>> (Time millisecondsToRun:[ 25 benchFib ]) > 200
>>      or: [ (Time millisecondsToRun: [ 64 benchmark ]) > 200 ]
>
> 19mS & 143mS
>
> I don't see an issue with possibly slowing down the first startup to test performance as long as
> a) it isn't a multi-second delay
> b) it says what it is doing
>   "Checking system performance in order to provide advice on suitable setup options"
> would be apropos.

I’m sorry but it’s completely unacceptable.  19ms is an age.  Simple Unix commands are done in that time.  50 of those and a second has elapsed.  Imagine one is using a Smalltalk script with the Unix find command and one can not do better than 50 applications per second.

We know that we can derive a meaningful performance figure from existing work.  Why are we even considering adding unnecessary overhead?