[squeak-dev] JSON & SIXX as a storage format (was Re: JSON into Trunk? =) )

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jul 6 16:53:45 UTC 2021

> On 2021-07-06, at 7:23 AM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> Hmm... I wonder whether my perspective on and usage of JSON is correct. Yes, it is strongly connected to Web content. Yet, it is also a quite compact form to generate into a local file. Squeak's #storeString seems more bloated sometimes. Looking at WebUtils, most of my past scenarios would have worked using those, too. I suppose. Especially that recent one with TravisCI. :-)

JSON is a good quick solution for simple storage stuff; I use it to record my weather station data etc. For more complex data we ('we' in this case being SageTea.ai) are using SIXX for some fairly complicated structure storage with good results. It seems to be decently fast and reliable, and usefully human-readable when doing emergency WTF! debugging in a text editor. It also compresses really well (about 30 to 1 for us)  and the ZipArchive classes handle it very effectively. Masashi-san updated it last year to cleanly load in 5.3 after I found a couple of buglets.

The only drawback with it is that the home page (http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/sixx/index.html) includes a link to the intriguing sounding SMIX (Smalltalk Interchange In XML) page, and here I must warn you to put on peril-sensitive sunglasses because the choice of page background colour may well represent a danger to your health.

tim
Useful random insult:- Can easily be confused with facts.