[squeak-dev] Documenting the system

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jul 17 18:48:40 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 10:23:02AM -0400, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> Hi Herbert,
>
>     Yeah, I thought that too and I'm sure the poll works that way but this
> is not scientific.
>
> Everyone,
>
> I took a look at the help browser and noticed that on the first page there
> is inaccurate information.  Then I tried to search and hit a wide character
> error.  Could have just been our UTF-8 version so I wondered if people are
> using it.  I would like to see some more responses but it seems from the
> https://forms.gle/CsEpHvipoGbeud9k8
>
> Do we have a documentation team?  If so, who is on it?
>
> To make the help browser more visible I think we need to have the ability
> to produce an online version to increase visibility but that seems like a
> doable project.  Create an export, write some CSS, find a place to publish
> it, and we have something that can be found online.  We may still be able
> to combine the help browser and use it as the source for something like
> https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/ for the online version.
>
> If you have suggestions or ideas about a documentation project please speak
> up.
>
> So far the requirements are:
>
> 1. We need something that is easy enough for people to contribute.
> 2. Something that is easily maintained and modified
> 3. Something that is collaborative
> 4. Something that is easily discoverable
> 5. Something that is not easily ignored
> 6. Something that can be tested!
> 7. Something that can be versioned
>
> Thank you for your help!!

I would be happy to see a HelpBrowser/Seaside solution that does not
require a lot of new content creation. That said, I have to give a
shout out to the Cuis Book as an outstanding example of good writing
and content packaging. You can read the book on line or as a PDF, and
it is a very good piece of work either way.

The project is:
  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2021-July/216008.html

which links to the on line book here:
  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2021-July/216008.html