[squeak-dev] Documenting the system

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Mon Jul 19 20:10:33 UTC 2021

I think I put SqueakDoc in Montitello repo.

Its been a year since I have touched it.
Akthough it predates Doc, the idea is to make it the web front for a documentation system.

Iirc, it  renders existing Help  ok, but with recursion problems.

There is other stuff, my usual overkill approach, but it could be a start for somebody.

Iirc, it requires the Zurb framework also in the repo and the zurb css / jss

---- On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:51:50 -0400 lewis at mail.msen.com wrote ----

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 09:35:51AM +0200, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> I am not quite sure, what the overall goal is here. :-) "HelpBrowser+Seaside"
> sounds like a regular, web-based wiki, which be already have: wiki.squeak.org.

I meant something rather different:

In the help system, HelpBrowser is the model. When you open a help browser,
you get a Morphic view on the model.

In the SqueakSource application, we have similarly have an SSRepository
model, but the view is rendered on a web site using Seaside rather than
Morphic.

Thus if someone were to write a Seaside application for HelpBrowser,
similar to the Seaside application for SqueakSource, then we would
have a way to put the help system on line and to automatically keep
it in sync with the help content in Squeak trunk.

In this scenario, content creation is entirely in Squeak trunk, and
the web application is just another a way to render it. I am not sure,
but I suspect that Seaside already provides then necessary components
to build up a help browser view on the web (tree widgets, etc).

Of course, finding "somebody" to implement the Seaside view would
be the missing piece in this puzzle. But it would be a nice little
project if someone has an interest in learning Seaside.

Dave