[squeak-dev] Bug in primitiveUtcWithOffset on Windows

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Jun 29 12:41:12 UTC 2021

Hi all,

recently, the battery of my laptop has broken (will never buy an HP device again, rude support ...), so currently, I'm only using my device only with a direct power supply. When I unplug it while it is shut down/in hibernation mode, the system time will be reset. Windows knows how to deal with it and only seconds after rebooting, it will fetch the current time from a time server again. However, Squeak/OSVM have problems with this. In the last two weeks, I have noticed multiple cases where the image clock in the docking bar would not be updated after resuming from hibernation mode but continue to count from the previous evening's time. More precisely, primitiveUtcWithOffset always returns a time that is behind by the duration for which my device was shut down at the night. After restarting the VM, the time is synced again.

I'm on Windows 20H1. Maybe some chronological expert here has an idea of how the VM could be tweaked in order to reflect the time changes applied by Windows time synchronization? :-)

Best,

Christoph