[squeak-dev] Bits of history: Stream >>contents

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Jun 29 19:10:30 UTC 2021

Greetings,

Perhaps some one out there can help me understand some history.

ANSI Smalltalk 5.9.1.2 indicates that #contents "Returns a collection
containing the complete contents of the stream."

WriteStream>>contents does not do this.  ReadWriteStream>>contents does
do this.

Why the difference?

vvv===vvv
ws := WriteStream on: #[].
ws nextPut: 65.
ws nextPut: 80.
ws contents printString. '#[65 80]'
"Second result is expected to match 1st"
ws position: 1.
ws contents printString. '#[65]'
^^^===^^^

I am puzzled.  Must be some reason for this lost in the sands of time..

Thanks for any help uncovering the history and rationale here,
-KenD