[squeak-dev] Simulation guard <primitive: 19> crashes the image

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 17:23:08 UTC 2021

Hi Jaromir,

> On Mar 4, 2021, at 1:03 AM, Jaromir Matas <m at jaromir.net> wrote:
>
> Hi, why the simulation guard <primitive: 19> in BlockClosure >> newProcess?
>
> It crashes the image when debugging e.g. [] fork. You hit Into -> Into ->
> the the error window pops up, you cancel it (or Abandon...) and hit Into
> again and the image is done :|

I wish it was adequately documented.  I can see some justification, that one doesn’t want simulation to “run away at .  But I can also see the counter argument; one wants the debugger to simply be a way of inspecting any computation.  If always struck me as odd but I’ve not had the courage to nuke it.

> In case there's no reason to keep the simulation guard why not just remove
> it?

Well, we have some choices:

a) present the user with a notifier and offer that they proceed of not
b) have a preference
c) spawn a new debugger with the new process (so one now has two debuggers).
d) nuke it
e) leave it unchanged

I like a. b is too hidden. d has the risk in rare circumstances of surprising behavior; after all someone must have been bitten at one point to want to put the simulation guard in.

> Thanks,
>
> Squeak6.0alpha-20243-64bit-202003021730-Windows

Eliot