[squeak-dev] Explorer / Inspector bug?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Mar 8 10:05:56 UTC 2021

Hi all!

I think that we should change (and test) all those singular cases. And maybe add lower-case versions for #microSeconds, #milliSeconds, and #nanoSeconds to make it proper English. :-)

Best,

Marcel

Am 06.03.2021 16:05:28 schrieb David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
On Sat, Mar 06, 2021 at 02:34:44AM -0600, Jaromir Matas wrote:
> > That sounds like a surprising feature/bug ??? either it should wait for 10
> seconds, or it should throw an error, IMHO, but not simply disregard the
> receiver. I'd prefer if it just did the expected thing, making #second and
> #seconds synonyms.
>
> +1. It bit me a couple of times already :)

+1

My expectation would be that #second, #minute, #hour etc would
be syntactic sugar. And I certainly would not expect "5 second"
to mean one second duration.

I note that we have several methods like this (second, minute, hour...)
and they have Brent Pinkney's (brp) initials since 2004. I don't know
if anyone depends on that existing behavior.

Off topic, but there are other problems with these duration methods.
They are defined in Number but round the duration magnitudes to
whole seconds. And durations for 1 day or 1 week are undefinable
due to daylight savings transitions and occasional leap seconds.

Dave