[squeak-dev] Twitter Smalltalk discussion that may interest folk here

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Mar 16 13:47:03 UTC 2021

Hi Liam.

I am happy to read that there is actual interest behind your initial question, which -- to be honest -- looked rather provocative to me. ;-) Sorry, if my previous answer did irritate you in some way.

> Honestly, I hoped that some Squeak practitioners here might want to go
> and engage themselves, or perhaps even suggest things I could counter
> this negativity with.

Well, countering a fundamentally negative attitude is in my experience not worth the effort if the topic-under-discussion may not even be relevant at all. Especially that thing about "malware" hints at a rather negative disposition toward people in general.

Yet, I am always happy to answer open-minded questions about Squeak and its concepts. So, what aspects do you care for? Do you really have, say, hard real-time or security concerns? Or are you more interested in "augmenting human intellect" (see Douglas Engelbart) through a computational system? :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 16.03.2021 14:28:08 schrieb Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 09:45, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> Hi Liam.
>
> > [...] but a couple of the other points seem quite telling... or do they?
>
> Is this a typical low-effort "You tell me why I should care?"-situation? :-)

:-(

Well, no. I did present a talk advocating Smalltalk as a possible
basis for a next-generation OS just last month and have discussed it
at some length on this ML. But I am not in any way an expert in it. I
tweeted about it, and now Twitter is showing me tweets about
Smalltalk, including this one.

Honestly, I hoped that some Squeak practitioners here might want to go
and engage themselves, or perhaps even suggest things I could counter
this negativity with.

> Well, if you want to figure out whether your friend is right or wrong, you could try creating a non-trivial thing in Squeak. This involves getting to know the entire system, not just the Smalltalk language and standard library. You would have to figure out how Squeak's tools work and how to shorten the feedback cycle to the level you are most comfortable with. --- After that, you are qualified to ponder about what modern Web browsers (+ DOM/CSS/JavaScript) have achieved yet, and what they still miss. Maybe also include the motivation behind Docker and containerization in general.
>
> Just kidding. :-) Or am I?

"Go and see for yourself" is sadly a very common rejoinder when asking
programmers for information about programming languages, but it is
pretty much never a helpful one. :-(

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com