[squeak-dev] [ANN] TelegramBot framework & @SqueakSmalltalkBot :-)

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Mar 17 17:01:38 UTC 2021

Hi Jaromir,

thank you for giving it a try, glad you like it! :-)

I would call it precaution. If you would host the bot yourself, you could change TelegramSmalltalkSession >> #isolationEnabled to access your real image without any limitations.

But since @SqueakSmalltalkBot can be accessed by anyone and at the same time is hosted in my private network, it was crucial for me to carefully eliminate all kinds of side effects.

For controlling operations such as forking and suspending, there is not yet any simulation support on the image side, which would potentially allow you to break out of my Sandbox and hack into my smart home system or anything else. :-) Thus I have disabled all the controlling primitives in the sandbox simulation for now (you can read more details about this in [1] if you are interested).

But it's an interesting topic. It would be nice if we could simulate process controlling and scheduling in Squeak as well. Sounds like another exciting project ... :-)

Best,

Christoph

[1] https://github.com/LinqLover/SimulationStudio/blob/a05f395d67a84a457c8224edadf03e3da80e17da/packages/SimulationStudio-Sandbox.package/SandboxContext.class/instance/doPrimitive.method.receiver.args..st#L44