[squeak-dev] Self-style environments

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Thu Mar 25 20:42:09 UTC 2021

Hi,

I had sprinkled menu items around some tools (like the MCSnapshotBrowser)
that were labelled something like "Load into other environment...", which
would prompt you for the environment, then make it the "Environment
current" during the loading. I have lost track though how many of these I
have submitted to the Inbox or how many have been merged in Trunk and which
were not.

One of these menu items is "change environment..." on a package in the
Monticello Browser. It would change the environment of an MCWorkingCopy for
future snapshots and loads.

Also all my modifications kept Environments out of the package definitions.
In terms of Tony's experiment: you would need your special environment with
doesNotUnderstand: already set up, then make it the "Environment current"
while you load the package in order to get it back as Tony had intended it
to be. For example, create the (empty) package in the Monticello browser,
then "change environment" of it to your special environment, then load the
package from a repository. If you would not do this and load as usual
instead, it would load into Smalltalk globals instead, regardless of how
Tony had saved it.

Kind regards,
Jakob