[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-jar.1399.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed May 5 01:11:22 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 1:30 PM Jaromir Matas <m at jaromir.net> wrote:

> Nicolas Cellier wrote
> > Waouh, you're exploring dark corners ;)
>
> Hi, yeah... found some skeletons :)
>
> I'll send a fix to the Inbox closing the second issue (re-signalling) and
> I'll leave the first question open, i.e. whether the following two are
> equivalent or distinct:
>
> [] on: Exception do: [ 42 ]
> [] on: Exception do: [:ex | ex return: 42 ]

> I've always assumed/understood that the two are equivalent.  To be more
precise I've always assumed/understood that the first is short-hand for the
second.  That somewhere in the exception system there is code like

    exception return: (handlerBlock cull: exception)

so that if the handler block returns a value the exception is sent return:
with its value.

Phrasing the question the other way around, in what ways would anyone expect

[] on: Exception do: [ 42 ]
[] on: Exception do: [:ex | ex return: 42 ]

to differ?

--
best, Eliot