[squeak-dev] [Sounds] How to turn off reverb

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon May 24 22:39:52 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I never have dealt with the Sound system in Squeak before so here is a newbie question from my side: How can I turn off the reverb which you hear every time you play an FM sound? Take this example:

AbstractSound dial: '#'.

Either my speakers are broken or there is a reverb that is hidden somewhere in the implementation of FMSound. :-) I can also reproduce this when creating an FMSound manually without defining any envelopes. I also took a look at the ingenious Speech-TTS package from Squeak 3 and could hear a reverb there, too. Is this a bug? Is this a - maybe unfortunate - default setting? How can I turn off this?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Best,

Christoph