[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Morphic-ct.1718.mcz

Christoph Thiede christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri May 28 17:54:07 UTC 2021

Hi Marcel,

sorry, somehow I must have lost track of this discussion. :-)

> What's exactly the benefit of putting this extra effort into the
> implementation? Under which circumstances is that extra scrolling a
> distraction? What do you want to do after "select all"? For all that we
> know, it might be accidental in other systems. :-)

I use this quite often in non-Squeak systems to copy/backup a text somewhere
else but I want to keep reading it from the latest position. If the
scrollbar jumps to another position in this case, I need to scroll back to
the original position. This can, especially in longer texts, be a very
tedious task ... Just stumbled again upon this.

Another argument might be that neither jumping to the beginning nor jumping
to the end of the text makes ultimate sense to me.

> Yet, I do like "visual stability" for such interactions. Maybe we can find
> a better "rule" to achieve that. Or maybe we can establish a paramter to
> "selectFrom:to:". There is already "invisible selection". Maybe we can add
> "stableSelection"? Or something like that.

As mentioned earlier, I am very open to alternative implementations. :-) I'm
not very deep in the editor's implementation, would you maybe like to
propose a concrete pattern?

Best,
Christoph

-----