[squeak-dev] stepping over non local return in a protected block

christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri May 28 22:54:10 UTC 2021

Hi Jaromir,

> > \2: This was indeed a slip because I forgot to update the image. I have moved my patch to #findNextHandlerContext - it makes the method robust against bottom-contexts that do not have a sender (i.e., sender is nil).
>
> The changeset still seems to have the old version of #runUntilErrorOrReturnFrom: and #nextHandlerContext nixing Nicolas's changes made in the meantime...

Version 8 removes roerf finally. :-) But I could not find any trace of #nextHandlerContext in the current changeset, did you maybe forget to revert the previous version before loading v7?

> What would you think about this approach: because #return:from: supplies the first unwind context for #aboutToReturn:through: prematurely, how about to supply nil instead of the first unwind context and let #resume:through: find the first unwind context at precisely the right time?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this only would move the problem again, wouldn't it? If you press over too late, we would have the same problem again? I'd still prefer a holistic approach such as my #informDebuggerAboutContextSwitchTo: proposal. Or did miss anything different with your proposal? :-)

Best,
Christoph