[squeak-dev] Speech.sar is missing

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon May 31 16:20:57 UTC 2021

Hi Christoph,

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 03:54:50PM +0000, Thiede, Christoph wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I tried to load the Speech package from SqueakMap into a current Trunk
> image, but the installation fails because the Speech-Phonetics category
> seems to be missing in the SAR package. Would it be possible to update
> the SAR with this package or is the dependency structure more complicated
> than I am assuming?

I don't know if this helps, but you can download a copy of the SAR file:

  $ wget http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/651/Speech.sar

The file will be in zip format, so you can unzip it to work with the Smalltalk
files directly.

The Speech package was included in early Squeak images, so you may want
to try running some old images from files.squeak.org on SqueakJS
(http://try.squeak.org) to find out how it originally worked.

IIRC it requires the Klatt plugin to do sound generation. That plugin
is not included in any of our current VMs, and it was probably never
updated to run on 64-bit systems, so it may be a challenge to get
Speech running on current Trunk.

Dave