[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak Inbox Talk - bringing squeak-dev into your image

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Nov 2 21:47:19 UTC 2021

I'm happily using port 587 via SMTPClient class>>#deliverMailFrom:to:text:usingServer:userName:password: - for example:

	SMTPClient
		deliverMailFrom: message from
		to: {message to}
		text: message text
		usingServer: 'smtp.somecompanyorother.com:587'
		userName: message from
		password: 'WibbltFroggi_t']
		on: Error
		do: [:e |
			self updateLog: 'Problem attempting to send email:- ' , e messageText.
			e pass]

> On 2021-11-02, at 12:24 PM, Jaromir Matas <mail at jaromir.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Christoph,
>

> I've tried to figure out why sending from the Inbox Talk fails; here are my observations:
>
> 	• ports 465 and 587 don't work (at least in my case) - are they supposed to?
> 	• port 25 works but ONLY if the user email is the same as the user name used for SMTP authentication - which is unfortunate, because my email provider (MS smtp-mail.outlook.com) doesn't support port 25 and when I use a provider supporting port 25 (smtp.seznam.cz) it forces me to match the authentication email (userName) and the email used for mailing list (userEmail)! Otherwise it gives me '550 5.1.0 Use your own address, please.' error :) So I'm stuck here...
> 	• for convenient playing with various smtp settings it is better to open an inspector on the MailSender class
>
> Any advice very welcome.
>

> Jaromir

tim
Useful random insult:- Got into the gene pool while the lifeguard wasn't watching.