[squeak-dev] Croquet

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Wed Nov 3 21:45:17 UTC 2021

Hi Edwin and all--

      I write croquet.io apps[1]. It seems built for ubiquity, and a
good way of achieving that is by using JS and the current Web platform.
As Vanessa shows with the SqueakJS project[2], we can do very effective
livecoding on the Web with Squeak.

      In my Caffeine project[3], I've been doing mashups of SqueakJS
with many other Web and JS frameworks, including croquet.io. I think
Squeak apps are clearly viable here.

      tim writes:

 > Only faintly related, but has anyone done any experimenting with
 > driving the morphic.js stuff[4] the Jens produced for Snap?

      Yes, I've been using a Caffeine and morphic.js mashup of mine
since 2017, as one of several proofs of concept for alternate Squeak UIs
on the Web (the others being one Squeak morph per HTML canvas, pure HTML
DOM, VueJS, and A-Frame WebXR with one Squeak morph per composited
stereo 3D surface; see [5] for details, and [6] for a whirlwind tour of
several Caffeine things).

      It works, and it's fast.

      thanks,
      Craig

[1] https://croquet.io
[2] https://squeak.js.org
[3] https://caffeine.js.org
[4] https://github.com/jmoenig/morphic.js
[5] https://thiscontext.com/2017/06/28/a-faster-morphic-with-morphic-js
[6] https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/286872152

***

--
Craig Latta  ::  research computer scientist
Black Page Digital  ::  Berkeley, California