[squeak-dev] I wish I was sending this from Inbox Talk, but I cannot figure out how to do that

mail at jaromir.net mail at jaromir.net
Sat Nov 6 10:09:49 UTC 2021

Hi Timothy, Christoph,

To satisfy my curiosity I have created a zoho email account and tried using the zoho smtp settings (i.e. smtp.zoho.eu:465) - and sending failed as you describe (the reason being a timeout; why? My guess Squeak implementation doesn't work with port 465?).

Then I tried the same with Gmail (smtp.gmail.com:587) - and sending from Squeak failed again (this time an authentication problem, why on earth? Windows email clients work ok using these settings)

To summarize:
I've made Squeak send email under these two scenarios:

1) using a local SMTP server (10.0.0.1:587) without an authentication - for this to work I had to modify the MailComposition >> #doSendMail method (remove authentication lines)

2) using an internet mail provider's smtp server (smtp.seznam.cz:25) supporting port 25 - in this case however the provider's policy requires the userName and deliverMailFrom adresses be identical

I'm surprised Gmail smtp failed sending from Squeak - has anyone tried Gmail?? Christoph? I wish you proved I did something wrong :D

^[^ Jaromir
  ---

Sent from Squeak Inbox Talk