[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeaker: Like Docker, but for Squeak. You know, for kids.

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com
Thu Nov 18 08:42:23 UTC 2021

I found myself in need of a way to script the production of clean images
customised by some sequence of Smalltalk commands. ("Cattle, not pets.")

Presto,

	https://github.com/tonyg/squeaker

 From the README (https://github.com/tonyg/squeaker#readme):

====
It's a small program that helps in automated derivation of configured
Smalltalk images from some fixed base image and a collection of
Smalltalk commands. It's about 500 lines of Python, so far.

  - Squeakerfile.st is like Dockerfile, except it contains locations to
fetch images from plus Smalltalk expressions to derive new images.

  - squeaker build is like docker build. It manages a cache (in
$XDG_CACHE_HOME/squeaker, usually $HOME/.cache/squeaker on Unix) of
downloaded artifacts, derived images, and the stages in each derivation.

  - squeaker run is like docker run. It starts a previously-downloaded
or -derived image in a temporary directory. (Future: support persistent
image instances, like docker does! Easy enough.)

  - squeaker gc is like docker system prune, roughly. It cleans out the
Squeaker cache directory, treating tags as GC roots.
====

Please try it out and let me know what you think!

Cheers,
   Tony