[squeak-dev] Default preferences

mail at jaromir.net mail at jaromir.net
Mon Nov 22 21:53:45 UTC 2021

Hi Christoph,

On 2021-11-22T20:07:44+01:00, christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Yeah, this topic again, but before we release the next version of Squeak, I thought we maybe could slightly round off our list of preferences in order to improve the initial experience for new Squeakers even more!
>
> I have went through the entire list of preferences and identified several regressions and dead preferences (you may have noticed a number of other recent contributions by me regarding this topic), but I also made a list of default preference values with which I personally do not really agree, so I thought we could discuss them here. I'm trying to be brief:
>
> 1. Windowing
> Personally, the first thing I do in every new image is to enable these prefs:
> "mouse over for keyboard focus", "open tools attached to mouse cursor", "windows' contents are always active".
> Do I belong to a minority of Squeakers or could we satisfy a majority of Squeakers by turning on these prefs by default?

Nice ones; I'll be enabling them from now on :)

For myself I'd add "Embed a Transcript in a Workspace" because I use and move both around the screen all the time; and frankly, since my first encounter with Squeak I always wondered why I have to open two tools, one of which has a totally nuts name, in order to be able to print "Hello" ;)

> 2. Tools
> Very brief suggestions:
> - TextDiffBuilder ignoreLineEndings -> true
> - Show annotation pane in the debugger -> true
> - Extra debugger buttons -> true
> - Show stack variables in debugger -> maybe? I like it, does it harm?
> - Stack Size in Notifier/Full Debugger -> increase by factor 2 or more, should not be a performance issue nowadays, but increases convenience
>
> 3. Morphs
> - Wrapped tree navigation -> true (just consistent to lists)
> - Use the new color-picker -> true (c'mon, this tool is already >11 years old! :p)
>
> 4. Editing
> - Auto enclose brackets -> #beforeSpaces (see [1], pending. Inserting a bracket pair () right before a character just feels pretty useless to me.)
> - Enclose selection with brackets -> true

Yes, handy

> Please give feedback or discuss! You could opt en block or leave more detailed feedback to the single proposals. Looking forward to a productive debate! :-)
>
> Best,
> Christoph
>
> [1] autoEncloseBeforeSpace.cs: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2021-November/216871.html
>
> ---