[squeak-dev] Default preferences

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Tue Nov 30 08:17:53 UTC 2021

> Here is another example. I would love to make "Colorful windows" the
> default because it makes multitasking in Squeak so much easier (e.g.,
> pre-attentive vision, color groups etc.).

+1

> So, what can we do? Make the system's concepts discoverable. Once users
> learn about (domain-specific) vocabulary, they will not only get better
> in using the system, but also in what to look for.

An idea would be to make customized images of different 'styles'
available (and advertized) on the site, with an explicit in-your-face
statement about the flexibility of Squeak.

A long time ago, when I first discoverd Squeak, I was blown away by 'The
Worlds of Squeak', which came right within the default image. Nowadays
we just get a grey background with a welcome window. If it is for the
sake of 'seriousness' well I think it is seriously misguided.

Stef