[squeak-dev] Deprecating #ifNotNilDo: & friends

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Sep 4 01:44:50 UTC 2021

On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 08:31:29PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 08:42:56PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We already have #ifNotNil: which has been doing the same thing as
> > #ifNotNilDo: for about 10 years now.
> > The idea is to deprecate #ifNotNilDo: softly, without raising a warning on
> > usage just like how it's done with #doWithIndex:.
> > The inbox entries 60Deprecated-ul.96 and Kernel-ul.1409 contain the
> > necessary changes, while KernelTests-ul.405 has an additional test to
> > verify that no methods use #ifNotNilDo:.
> >

> > Levente
> >

> +1
>
> This seems like a good thing to do, and the soft deprecation approach
> is good.
>
> There will be important external packages such as Connnectors that
> still use the ifNotNilDo: idiom so we will want to take care to make
> sure these are still loadable in modern Squeak. Meanwhile, everything
> in the base image (e.g. my own misuse of of ifNotNilDo: in Chronology)
> should be cleaned up.

Actually my misuse of ifNotNilDo: in Chronology is not in the Squeak
image, it's in some *Chronology overrides in my TZ-Olson package which
is maintained externally. So it's an example of an external package
that might not be properly maintained by its deadbeat owner ;-)

So I'll fix the issues in TZ-Olson, and in any case +1 for moving
your deprecation fixes into trunk.

Dave