[squeak-dev] Deprecating #ifNotNilDo: & friends

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Sep 20 08:47:08 UTC 2021

Hi Tim --

> Ah. This is something I do not like, at least not in the simplistic sense of writing to the Transcript.

Sure. Me neither. Yet, I see it in the same category as Undeclared and shadowed variables. If we would add a new thing, make that also happen for those other existing cases, right? Baby steps. :-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 10.09.2021 18:57:35 schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> On 2021-09-10, at 1:52 AM, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>
> A simple compiler warning in the Transcript might work. Like we have for Undeclared and shadowed variables ...

Ah. This is something I do not like, at least not in the simplistic sense of writing to the Transcript.
a) may very well not have an open Transcript
b) may be compiling code in a system where nobody could ever see a Transcript
c) can't handle the error

A suitable exception, perhaps with a defaultAction to write to a Transcript, would be easier to live with.

tim
The substance "Hey Y'all, watch this!" is known by the state of California to be hazardous to your health.