[squeak-dev] [ANN] Modern OpenGL & GLFW for Squeak

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Sep 24 14:21:56 UTC 2021

Hi Stephan,

that's great news and a very nice birthday present for Squeak! :-) I admit that I have almost zero experience with OpenGL, but this sounds exciting - would you see the possibility to upgrade and accelerate Morphic rendering with your solution in the long term?

I have tried to install the packages in a current Trunk image but did not have success so far:

  *   First, installation of the OpenGL package from your first link fails for me under Windows with this error: "GoferRepositoryError: filetree:// repository 'C:\Users\Christoph\OneDrive\Dokumente\Squeak\github-cache\hpi-swa-lab#squeak-graphics-opengl\main\hpi-swa-lab-squeak-graphics-opengl-ce5b27b\OpenGL#src' does not exist." If I replace the last # with a backslash and resume the installation, it succeeds. In WSL(1), this error does not occur. Could this be an OS-specific slash issue, maybe located in Metacello? I have reset my github caches before the installation.
  *   After installation succeeds, I switch my VM to use OpenGL instead of B3D and run the B3DAcceleratorPlugin example from your first readme. However, both in Windows and WSL (which is also reported to support OpenGL<https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/2855>), I keep getting an error: "No module to load address from" signaled by GLExternalLibrary1>>getString:. Why is this? Are my 202006010135/202010232046 VM too old?

Looking forward to getting it running!

Best,

Christoph