[squeak-dev] Manual line breaks in code

Lauren Pullen drurowin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:06:01 UTC 2022

Hi Christoph, Marcel, Tobias,

My proposal is to not include the documentation in a comment at all.

Add a dedicated text box to the browser for the comment and treat method
comments like class comments, but then display both code and
documentation simultaneously side by side.  Then there could be
completely different rules for formatting text from formatting code.  I
want each text line to be narrow... but I want each code line to be able
to be wide to take advantage of indentation.

On 4/1/22 11:42, christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de wrote:
>> How about email's format=flowed?
>
> A problem with this could be that some systems do not preserve trailing spaces. For instance, they do not appear in the mailing list archive. :-)
Unrelated, I checked my copy of the sent mail and it looks like my
client stripped the trailing spaces when it got sent to prepare it for
the ml archive.

This might be a problem with the inlined diffs that get sent out when
people save new versions, but I still think it's the least intrusive
option and doesn't require any special non-space-bar spaces.  It
wouldn't affect code samples in the comments, and you could detect
paragraphs all on one literal line by the period-return-return and
period-endOfComment patterns.

If you press return you get a normal line break (for people like Tobias
and myself, who put in line breaks because they're supposed to be
there), and if you hit the space bar right before that it signals the
comment formatting engine to use the user's preference to change the
line widths.