[squeak-dev] Manual line breaks in code

christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Apr 2 11:55:52 UTC 2022

Hi all,

> Yes please. If someone wants to format comments differently, then pretty print it any way you like. Shout might be good for doing that.

+1. I'd just argue that inserting linebreaks via pretty print is significantly easier than removing them.

> It just does not have a readable shape.

So would you be fine some kind of MaximumCompositionWidthAttribute that your Shout could apply to any comment in the source code? :-)

> When possible, we should allow all styles.

Yes, ping-pong commits are bad, but inconsistency isn't beautiful, either. I think we still are missing a proper pretty-printer that fits everyone's individual needs and can release us from debates like this one. :D

Best,
Christoph

PS: Please find another very typical argument against pre-formatted text with manual linebreaks in the attachment. It's really annoying to me. :-)

---
Sent from Squeak Inbox Talk

On 2022-04-02T11:34:36+02:00, lecteur at zogotounga.net wrote:

> > There are a lot of things that might be done to improve the
> > quality and quantity of comments in Squeak. Messing around with
> > line break characters in other people's comments is not one of
> > those things. Please just don't.
>
> +1
>
> Comments in Squeak are wonderfully simple: just write whatever you want
> wherever you want. Comment out whatever chunk of code, anywhere, easily.
> Prepare code in comment to be used only within a debugger - there are
> many ways to play with the comments syntax. Please do not take this
> simplicity and the freedom it allows away from us, and remember that no
> two coders have the same pratices and preferences. When possible, we
> should allow all styles.
>
> Stef

["manualLinebreaks.png"]