[squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2022

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Apr 11 05:25:26 UTC 2022

Wohoo! Thanks Jakob! :-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 08.04.2022 19:13:23 schrieb Jakob Reschke <jakres+squeak at gmail.com>:
Am Fr., 8. Apr. 2022 um 00:21 Uhr schrieb tim Rowledge :

> > On 2022-04-07, at 3:00 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> >
> > That's not bad but really it is better to have more candidates than positions! Please ask around and encourage people to run! Consider running yourself. It's a great way to give back to your community!
>

> Christoph, Chris, Lauren, Eliot, Stéphane, Jaromir, Jakob, Tobias,Herbert, Nicolas, Ken - to grab names from squeak related emails during March that I haven't deleted yet - please, one or two or three of you consider waving your flag!

So if you insist, I can offer my candidacy as well...

...but first, here is why I did not run so far:
- I am not seeking further software responsibilities or "work" outside
of my job at this time.
- Therefore I would be reluctant to fulfill further expectations or to
make commitments.
- Rather little of my free time is going into Squeak lately. Using it
professionally is not an option currently.
- Some people say "Interesting" in one meeting and come around the
corner in the next with "I tried a little something, care to have a
look?" and have implemented a cool prototype. I admire these people,
but it is unlikely that you will get such displays of initiative from
me. I am more the guy who posts wishes rather than implementations.
- Not well-versed in uses of Squeak other than as an IDE
- Not so fond of networking (I don't mean the kind in which Ethernet belongs)
- ...so except for providing opinions during the board meetings, I
could end up as "dead weight", as Peter put it.

On the other hand, humans can occasionally be surprised of themselves,
so here are my qualifications and background:
- Can probably arrange the time to attend a bi-weekly one hour meeting
- Professional software engineer in lead roles
- Quite some Squeak experience from my time at the HPI (until late 2017)
- Main developer of the Git tools you can download from the startup
wizard https://github.com/hpi-swa/Squot
- Primarily influenced by non-Smalltalk tools and development
- Wishing for a more Smalltalk-like experience in other technologies
- Interested in version control systems (ok you could have guessed that)
- Interested in automation, because which IT person likes to do IT
work manually...
- Dreaming of a Squeak that integrates well into the surrounding
operating system, or a (serverless) cloud environment maybe, that
appreciates the good things the world around it has to offer
(including the good things about MS Windows...), and where you can
just start developing your application, using adjacent technologies
that you already know, rather than having to adopt an "all Smalltalk
nothing else" attitude and re-learn to different solutions, or writing
two or three middleware adapters before you can start your actual
project. Did I mention that I rather post wishes than
implementations...?
- Occasional contributions to the Squeak tools, or the Environments
package in the past
- Less than 35 years old

If you think this is an acceptable combination, you may put my name on the list.

Kind regards,
Jakob