[squeak-dev] A lot of shadowed variable names in Squeak 6.0 needing clearing up

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Dec 31 18:24:16 UTC 2022

Thanks for taking the time Dave. It's really easy to sort of space out when running through a long list of 'just this tiny change' so a double-check is important.

> On 2022-12-31, at 8:08 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> I loaded the change set into my trunk image and nothing horrible happened.
> I also reviewed the changes for a while until I got bored, and the ones I
> looked at were all good, with well-chosen variable names.
>
> +1 for adding to trunk.
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 04:24:31PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>

>>> On 2022-12-25, at 10:33 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> VariableNode>>variableGetterBlockIn: (index is shadowed)
>>> ContextVariablesInspector>>streamTemporaryVariablesOn: (context is shadowed)
>>> ContextVariablesInspector>>fieldAllTempVars (object is shadowed)
>>> ContextInspector>>streamTemporaryVariablesOn: (context is shadowed)
>>> ContextInspector>>streamStackVariablesOn: (object is shadowed)
>>> TableLayoutTest>>testShrinkWrapIssue (container is shadowed)
>>> TableLayoutTest>>testScrollPaneBarUpdate (container is shadowed)
>>> BasicInspector>>fieldObjectClass (object is shadowed)
>>> BasicInspector>>fieldObjectSize (object is shadowed)
>>> BasicInspector>>streamIndexedVariablesOn: (object is shadowed)
>>> TTFontFileHandle>>printOn: (filename is shadowed)
>>> CompiledCodeInspector>>fieldHeader (object is shadowed)
>>> CompiledCodeInspector>>fieldByteCodes (object is shadowed)
>>> SqueakTheme class>>createDuller (name is shadowed)
>>> Inspector>>streamError:on: (object is shadowed)
>>> Inspector>>getContents (object is shadowed)
>>> Inspector>>streamIndexedVariablesOn: (object is shadowed)
>>> Inspector>>streamOn:truncate:collectFields: (object is shadowed)
>>> Inspector>>valuePane (object is shadowed)
>>> Inspector>>elementGetterAt: (object is shadowed)
>>> SHTextStylerST80>>createTextAttributesForPixelHeight: (font is shadowed)
>>> IndentingListItemMorph>>charactersOccluded (icon is shadowed)
>>> FileList2 class>>endingSpecs (category is shadowed)
>>> VersionsBrowser>>fileOutSelection (file is shadowed)
>>

>>> InspectorField class>>generateExpressionFrom:argumentNames: (name is shadowed)
>>> FtpUrl>>retrieveContents (password is shadowed)
>>> ClassBasedHelpTopic>>updateSubtopics (priority is shadowed)
>>> LazyListMorph>>drawOn: (color is shadowed)
>>> PluggableTreeMorph>>setSelectedPath: (setSelectedPathSelector is shadowed)
>>> StringTest>>testFindLiteral (string is shadowed)
>>> StringTest>>testFindSelector (string is shadowed)
>>> StringTest>>testFindSymbol (string is shadowed)
>>> SqueakMessageCategoriesHelp class>>addAllCategoriesTopicTo: (category is shadowed)
>>> Ascii85ConverterTest>>testEncodeDecode (encoded is shadowed)
>>> MVCMenuMorph>>invokeAt:in:allowKeyboard: (originalFocusHolder is shadowed)
>>> HtmlEntityInspector>>fieldHtml (object is shadowed)
>>> ReleaseBuilder class>>clearCaches (environment is shadowed)
>>> ReleaseBuilder class>>cleanUpBitstreamVeraSans (name is shadowed)
>>> ReleaseBuilder class>>checkForNilCategories (category is shadowed)
>>> RxMatcher>>copy:replacingMatchesWith: (stream is shadowed)
>>> Random>>next:into: (index is shadowed)
>>
>>> Random>>nextBytes:into:startingAt: (index is shadowed)
>> That's not correct so far as I can see?
>>

>>> Random>>hashSeed: (index is shadowed)
>>> PluggableMultiColumnListMorph>>selectionIndex: (listMorph is shadowed)
>>> PluggableMultiColumnListMorph>>hoverRow: (listMorph is shadowed)
>>> PluggableMultiColumnListMorph>>textColor: (listMorph is shadowed)
>>> PluggableMultiColumnListMorph>>getFilteredList (fullList is shadowed)
>>> PluggableMultiColumnListMorph>>rowAtLocation: (listMorph is shadowed)
>>> PluggableMultiColumnListMorph>>updateColumns (listMorph is shadowed)
>>> PluggableMultiColumnListMorph>>rowAboutToBecomeSelected: (listMorph is shadowed)
>>> DockingBarMenuMorph>>popUpAdjacentTo:forHand:from: (owner is shadowed)
>>> SystemWindow>>paneColorToUseWhenNotActive (color is shadowed)
>>> CommunityTheme class>>createDark (name is shadowed)
>>
>> OK, that's the list checked over. Now the problem is that 23 packages get touched. So just post the changeset right now and hope that does for today.
>>

>> Marcel, quite a lot appear to be artefacts from a morph related cleanup blast you did a while back.
>>
>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; tim at rowledge.org; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Strange OpCodes: BSO: Branch Sort Of

tim
People who deal with bits should expect to get bitten.