[squeak-dev] [vwnc] [PDFtalk] Porting the library to non-namespace Smalltalks

Christian Haider mail at christianhaider.de
Tue Feb 1 18:31:11 UTC 2022

Hi Lou,

it would be great if Instantiations would support this effort! Great that you are bugging them!

About the fileOut tool, called FileOut30, in VW. It will create a fileOut which probably can be filed into VAST. From there on you need to work in VAST to fix all the differences to the source Smalltalk, especially renamings for namespaced classes. This is the traditional, but, imho, wrong approach. The process is brittle and the result is not predictable - it is not repeatable. What if a new version must be ported? All the changes have to be redone (with minor changes). Look at the effort to port Seaside or Glorp.

Better is to have a detailed description of what needs to be ported and how code needs to be transformed. This is repeatable and a new version with minor changes will result in minor changes to the code transformation. The transformations from one project could even be reused by other projects.

Happy hacking,
	Christian