[squeak-dev] Terse Guide's a bit outdated and contains errors

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Feb 7 12:24:24 UTC 2022

Hi Jaromir,

> Would you be interested in a quick review of these?

> If you're interested I could also add a few more Exceptions examples.

Sure, both would be very helpful of course! Please just make sure to contribute small independent versions so that we can easily review and merge them. :-)

> I'm not sure why the Terse guide doesn't behave like a Workspace: I mean automatic declarations. It's not straightforward to print-it or inspect the examples line by line; for a beginner running them feels scary - if you select just the line you're interested in, it shouts unknown variable and if you accept, the modified Terse guide is half purple (in the Dark mode).

Yeah, we were also having a similar discussion about automatic declarations in inspectors and other tools. I'm not sure what behavior I would expect here. On the one hand, this is just convenient, but on the other hand, would it confuse anyone? Especially in inspectors/explorers, there might be clashes with existing instance variables. Maybe users would struggle to distinguish between their own "workspace" state and the actual state that is part of a receiver. We also would need to give users access to the bindings (inspect/reset) as it is possible at the moment via the workspace menu. Another issue is that automatic declarations are just not "true plain Smalltalk", so when you want to convert it into a method, you will need to define the variables yourself ...

Best,
Christoph