[squeak-dev] Dead primitive 103 makes scrolling truetype fonts very, very slow. Let's get rid of it

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com
Thu Feb 17 11:10:14 UTC 2022

On 2/17/22 11:59, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Also: Please increase your Glyph cache first before making any
> experiments. See preference TTCFont glyphCacheSize. The interference
> between cache invalidation and you removing that primitive might be
> leading to wrong conclusions... :-)

Oh, that's very interesting!

So first of all let me clarify that I was seeing multiple-second delays
with primitive 103 enabled, but mere multi-hundred-millisecond delays
with it disabled. Does the primitive touch the cache?

I'll explore different settings.

Is it recommended to increase the cache size after importing a new font,
or is it something that should maybe be a bit larger by default anyway?

Cheers,
   Tony