[squeak-dev] Sources file locations (was: User config directories)

Jakob Reschke jakres+squeak at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 19:39:29 UTC 2022

Hi Dave,

Happy new year!

Am Sa., 1. Jan. 2022 um 21:46 Uhr schrieb David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:

> For Unix/Linux, the solution can be very simple, just add /usr/share/squeak/
> and /usr/local/share/squeak/ to the list of locations to be searched
> for sources files.
>
> I suspect (but I'm not sure) that some similar convention will work
> for Windows.

On Windows you would need additional help from the VM because there is
no fixed path like /usr/share or /usr/local/share. Most Windows
installations are on drive C:, but it is possible to spread Windows
across different partitions. Possible candidates for a non-writable
system-wide location are %ProgramFiles%\Common Files (usually
C:\Program Files\Common Files) or, if Squeak were installed like other
applications, its program directory under %ProgramFiles% (for example
C:\Program Files\Squeak). If it should be writable by users (or at
least the one who creates it), we could take %ProgramData% (usually
C:\ProgramData).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/knownfolderid

The most official way to get the folder paths at runtime is to use the
Windows API, but going via the environment variables should work as
well. So if the VM does not provide the paths, we would still need at
least access to environment variables from a VM without separately
installed plugins.

Kind regards,
Jakob