[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-mt.1437.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jan 10 04:37:09 UTC 2022

> On 2022-01-09, at 5:18 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Would it be more flexible as a class-instance var even with no added complexity?

Interesting idea - you mean so that it would provide a  different way for some classes to not log? The issue that would cause for the use I had in mind is that I wanted a global switch so it can be flipped with one preference. I guess that for the current usage I have it would in fact be tolerable for it to be restricted to a small number of classes.

The general case I had in mind though was as a part of the ignore lack of source/changes settings; consider a server image where you want to be able to load updates (rather like the Personal SqueakSource image, as an example) without having a growing changes file. Or, sometihng I tried (and failed ) to do for the Raspberry Pi Scratch project, allowing users to drop a code file to add some new hardware driver; I'll try adding that sometime now this preference is in place.

What I'm not convinced of is whether this completes the job wrt MC loading. Any thoughts?

> On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 1:21 AM <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> Marcel Taeumel uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-mt.1437.mcz

> Name: Kernel-mt.1437
> Author: mt
> Time: 26 December 2021, 8:21:42.050619 am
> UUID: 28086a0b-8543-4f44-9c9f-7e63d3028f7f
> Ancestors: Kernel-ct.1436
>
> Makes #acceptsLoggingOfCompilation a preference that can be disabled. See commentary #logCompiledSources. Classes can still override this preference but should follow a "super acceptsLoggingOfCompilation and: [...]" pattern.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- PRO BOZO PUBLICO - Support your local clown