[squeak-dev] Context >> #compiledCode?

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jan 10 12:55:05 UTC 2022

Hi all, hi Eliot!

Since the introduction of the Sista bytecode set, we have this behavior:

[thisContext method] value "([] in UndefinedObject>>#DoIt "a CompiledBlock(1651857)"

There were already some confusions around the fact that #method answers an instance of CompiledBlock, and I would not be surprised if we found further bugs that rely on the - now falsy - assumption that #method would answer a CompiledMethod only.

(I think) Marcel has already proposed this in the past: Should we maybe deprecate Context >> #method and replace it by Context >> #compiledCode or just Context >> #code? I think this could make our vocabulary a bit more consistent and help us to avoid future errors. On the other hand, it would be a non-trivial process to update all senders, and we might break existing code (if it's not already broken because it was not designed with Sista in mind).

Best,

Christoph