[squeak-dev] CompiledMethod >> #=

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jan 12 08:05:07 UTC 2022

Hi all --

CompiledMethod >> #= is exactly as it should be because it focuses on execution semantics, which is clearly its domain. That's what a custom #= is for. It's not about comparing all its state but only the relevant portion. A method's selector and other meta-data are extra and only needed occasionally in tools. If one would add another comparison method for CompiledMethod it's not even clear which portion of the additional method state to consider...

Best,
Marcel
Am 12.01.2022 02:19:34 schrieb David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 10:22:47AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Would renaming that to something like #semanticallySimilarTo: make it clearer?

After reading Eliot's method comment in CompiledCode>>#=
I do not see how it could possibly be any more clear.

If there is an actual need for multiple implementations then
this would be a good way to do it, otherwise it's just clutter.

Dave