[squeak-dev] Please Test | Improvements around display scaling (150%, 200%, 250%, ...)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Fri Jan 14 08:54:22 UTC 2022

Hi Jakob, hi Christoph --

> [...] which messages should we use to write well-scaling LayoutFrames [...]

There was no change in this regard. As Christoph explained, try to depend on font metrics if possible or use "RealEstateAgent scaleFactor" for other pixel-based numbers.

Here are some examples:

aMorph height: TextStyle defaultFont height * 1.5. "or #defaultFixedFont"
aMorph height: Preferences standardButtonFont height.
aSpacer width: (aSpacer width max: (TextStyle defaultFont widthOf: $x) * 2).
aPanel width: (TextStyle defaultFont widthOfString: 'Hello!').

aMorph layoutInset: (5 * RealEstateAgent scaleFactor) truncated. "or rounded"

I don't think that we can get rid of all pixel-based constants because low-ppi displays require a sense of pixel-perfect accuracy where font-based calculations might look too awkward.

After the 6.0 release, we might want to look into the following challenges:
- Replace the use of "RealEstateAgent scaleFactor" with a single message on numbers, points, rectangles such as #scaledToDisplay or #screenScaled or #uiScaled
- Deferring layout scaling from initialization code (e.g., Morph >> #layoutInset:) to layout computation (e.g., TableLayout >> #layout:in:).

Again, nothing has changed regarding the current programming model for scale-factor-aware tools/widgets/etc..

Best,
Marcel