[squeak-dev] SUnit cross-dialect compatibility (was: The Trunk: SUnit-ct.133.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 15 00:10:57 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 04:24:33PM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi Christoph --
>
> The SUnit interface/protocol should remain cross-dialect compatible, not
> the implementation. Yes, Cuis etc. would provide its own version of SUnit.

+1000

And please remember the value of simplicity. SUnit is wonderfully simple,
and we should preserve that simplicity.

In horrible contrast, I refer you the ghastly swamp of "improvements" to
JUnit in the various Java-related frameworks. OK, don't actually go look
at it, but trust me it's horrible.

The various authors of these "improvements" appear to have convinced
themselves that they have created publishable enhancements that make
the framework "easier to understand" or "more readable" for persons
of lesser intellect, which apparently means me. I don't appreciate
the help.

Dave