[squeak-dev] Why not just get rid of the sources file entirely (was: The Inbox: System-dtl.1277.mcz)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jan 17 19:22:59 UTC 2022

> On 2022-01-17, at 10:17 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> Rather that putting a lot of effort into figuring out how to package
> the sources file and how to locate sources files in various places
> for various different operating systems, why don't we just get rid
> of the file entirely?

I do quite like this idea.

We have had several ways of doing something like this in the past as well; I see we still have #abandonSources but I'd swear there was a method to read the sources for each method and attach each string to it's method, probably as part of the method trailer?

I wonder what the practical performance issues might be with a single compressed 'file' vs individual chunks for each method.

tim
To err is human; to really foul things up requires a computer.