[squeak-dev] bad MessageTrace regression (was: The Trunk: Morphic-mt.1652.mcz)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Jan 18 09:13:16 UTC 2022

Hi all --

Next take on fixing those regressions is live: Tools-mt.1107 :-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 18.01.2022 00:34:18 schrieb Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com>:
Hi Marcel,

Wow, I just saw all these new messages in this thread with "Chris?",
sorry, I was busy all weekend!

> Aha! So, my misinterpretation was to read "browse senders" but understand "browse senders/implementors". We are getting somewhere ... :-) Chris?

Correct! I never contradicted myself, but you're really busy and I
now realize you must not use this feature, otherwise you would
understand the purpose of the browser is to allow the user to easily
build a coherent Trace in the upper pane, and not worrying about
"consistency of behavior between panes".

Everything Jakob wrote under, "FWIW here are my expectations:" is
exactly correct.

TracingMessages browser was my *very first contribution* to Squeak,
way back in 2002. :) I ported exactly how it worked in the
VisualAge version, and has been that way ever since. It's quite optimal, IMO.

You asked for screenshots, here's an *animated screenshot*. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96IvSwfXxg

I just checked Trunk and it appears it's still adding senders from the
code pane to the upper pane. Again, I'm sorry for the frustration
this has caused you. You're just helping us get this fixed with a
good design, and you don't even use it. I'm truly grateful.

Best,
Chris