[squeak-dev] Low-space considerations ... :-)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Jul 11 13:15:43 UTC 2022

Hi all --

What's the current state of our low-space guards in Squeak? That OutOfMemory error only works with larger allocations, right?

Our #lowSpaceWatcher seems to be broken because "Smalltalk specialObjectsArray at: 23" is always "nil". Should we replace it with "Processor preemptedProcecss"?

Has #lowSpaceThreshold any effect these days?

Has #primSignalAtBytesLeft: (primitive 125) any effect these days?

Can there ever be an image-level protection against stack-page shortage? VM parameter 42 seems to be 50 (num stack pages), which lasts for quite some time in endless recursion ... but CMD+Dot stops working at some point because of some stack-growing issues? And then the VM crashes eventually.

Best,
Marcel