[squeak-dev] OSProcess forkSqueak etc cause crash, 5.3 (with recent ARMv8 VM) and 6.0

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jul 19 16:57:00 UTC 2022

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 12:59:21PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 2022-07-12, at 10:02 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >
> > Can confirm. So ... where does that point the Finger Of Blame? I'll try latest ARM64 stuff again on a clean machine just in case but that doesn't solve the 5.3 image problem unless I'm very lucky.
>
> OK, retried actual ARM64 linux release and no luck. crash dump attached for the curious.

Did you ever get this sorted out? I just took a look at the crash dump,
which seems to point to something crashing while an ActiveEventVariable
is evaluating something:

  0x7fcdb6d7f8 M ActiveEventVariable class>value:during: 0x55857eb728: a(n) ActiveEventVariable

I don't know the circumstances in which an ActiveEventVariable would
be involved in handling a focus event, but it makes me wonder if there
is some sort of preference or theme that is active in your image but
not in mine. It's just a guess but maybe this gives a clue.

Dave