[squeak-dev] Problems with Metacello in Squeak 6.0

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 23:54:55 UTC 2022

I have downloaded Squeak 6.0 and figured it was time I learned to use
Metacello so I could learn to
load all packages for my project at once.

Reading the documentation on Metacello  at  Metacello>>getting started
it stated:
"
If you have a porject [[correct spelling is: project]] that you'd like
to use Metacello with, you should start by taking the Metacello
tutorial to familiar [[note familiarize/familarise is the correct word
here depending on whether you use British or American spelling]]
yourself with the configuration specification language. First load the
tutorial code:

    ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').
".

But this class did not exist in my image.
>From the Internet I found the command:
"
Installer gemsource
    project: 'metacello';
    install: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello'.
"

This was for Squeak 4.3 so I didn't know if it would work but I gave
it a try and it seemed to work.

This put class ConfigurationOfMetacello in my image.

I again ran:
ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('Tutorial').

This gave me the warning:
"
You are about to load new versions of the following packages that have
unsaved changes in the image.  If you continue, you will lose these
changes.

  Metacello-Core
"

Here I ignored the warning and clicked on <proceed>.
Now I get the error:
"
MCHttpRepository(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #repositoryDescription
"

So where do I go from here?
How do I download this tutorial or is there a better place to learn
about Metacello
for the purpose of being able to load all the packages I've written
for a project all at
once?

Thanks for any guidance.

Ralph Boland