[squeak-dev] Backing a Form with e.g. mmap() or shm

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:15:37 UTC 2022

Hi Tony,

> On Jun 23, 2022, at 7:25 AM, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know whether it's possible to create a Form backed by an out-of-line (e.g. mmaped) Bitmap-like object?

It isn’t implemented in any way yet but we have wanted to do something like this for a while, e.g. providing memory mapped byte arrays for intra-image communication.  It should be possible to implement given pinning.  However there are detailed issues, foremost
being where does the mapping have to start relative to the object? (obviously the mapping starts on a vm page boundary).  Must the first field of the object be the start of the mapping or can it include the header of the object?  The latter is far more convenient for the implementation.

Can you say more about your use case?

> Tony

Eliot