[squeak-dev] [ANN] TouchScrolling

Jakob Reschke jakres+squeak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 15:39:23 UTC 2022

Hi Tony,

I just tried it out and it works quite well with a mouse. With a pen
it makes scrolling much easier.

On the other hand I have set my pen/tablet to invoke a right click
when I hold down the pen for a few hundred milliseconds. Since
ScrollPanes now expect the same gesture to get back to the drag
behavior, I cannot access this anymore with the pen. This makes it
impossible for me to drag-select items in multi-selection lists (e. g.
in MessageTrace or the TestRunner) or drag out methods from a browser
with the pen.

Can we distinguish horizontal drag movements to invoke the "old"
dragging behavior immediately please? If I remember correctly Tobias
pointed out in another thread that this is the distinguishing property
on macOS. On Windows, this distinction seems to work the same way. In
Windows Explorer after putting the pen tip down, if I start to move
vertically, it scrolls (also horizontally if I change the direction of
movement with the pen still down); if I start to move horizontally, it
immediately drags the object under the cursor, or if I started over
empty space, it starts the "lasso" rectangle selection.

Kind regards,
Jakob