[squeak-dev] [ANN] TouchScrolling

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com
Mon Mar 7 13:48:17 UTC 2022

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for your feedback!

On 3/6/22 16:39, Jakob Reschke wrote:
> I just tried it out and it works quite well with a mouse. With a pen
> it makes scrolling much easier.

That's good to hear. I haven't tried it with a pen yet.

> On the other hand I have set my pen/tablet to invoke a right click
> when I hold down the pen for a few hundred milliseconds. Since
> ScrollPanes now expect the same gesture to get back to the drag
> behavior, I cannot access this anymore with the pen.

Ah, this is not so good. Would adjusting the timeout TouchScrolling uses
help, do you think? (ScrollPane class >> #touchScrollStartTimeout)

> Can we distinguish horizontal drag movements to invoke the "old"
> dragging behavior immediately please?

Oh this is interesting. So ScrollPane is nominally *two-dimensional* and
so TouchScrolling supports horizontal as well as vertical drags. But
maybe if there's no "slop" in one direction or other it could
immediately pass things through once the mouse travels outside the drag
radius in that direction!

> If I remember correctly Tobias
> pointed out in another thread that this is the distinguishing property
> on macOS. On Windows, this distinction seems to work the same way. In
> Windows Explorer after putting the pen tip down, if I start to move
> vertically, it scrolls (also horizontally if I change the direction of
> movement with the pen still down); if I start to move horizontally, it
> immediately drags the object under the cursor, or if I started over
> empty space, it starts the "lasso" rectangle selection.

Excellent, interesting, yes I think this is achievable. Hopefully in the
next few days I'll find time to give it a try. (And of course if anyone
else wants to have a stab at it, that'd be great too!)

Cheers,
   Tony