[squeak-dev] Question about a possible Utf8String (and Utf8Symbol)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Mar 9 16:27:09 UTC 2022

Hi there --

Did somebody already put some thought in the pros and cons of having an Utf8String (and Utf8Symbol) regarding:

- #compareWith:collated: (primitive 158)
- #compare:with:collated: (#primitiveCompareString in #MiscPrimitivePlugin)
- #at:(put:) (primitives 63 and 64)

Our current distinction between ByteString and WideString allows for fast #at:(put:) access but might be slow when comparing ByteString with WideString.

Some external libraries (e.g. via FFI) might even expect Utf8 encoded strings as input. At the moment, we would have to put Utf8TextConverter to work explicitely.

No call for action here. Just a survey. :-)

Best,
Marcel