[squeak-dev] UIManager>>#chooseFrom: and related methods; sadly misused in many places

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed May 4 17:59:40 UTC 2022

Hi Marcel,

sure, learned abilities give a bias. Nevertheless, I think that Fit's laws, spatial distance, and the number of clicks are objective arguments. :-)

> - #chooseOptionFrom: as an explicit design element for buttons

+1

> - #chooseFrom: to look consistent even for smaller lists

+1

> - Double-click would be as easy as single click

How do you want to achieve this? Accept the dialog on selection? :-)

> - Unlearning inconvenient habits would be easier

How it is an inconvenient habit to move my mouse as little as possible in order to press a button?

---

Maybe we could just use #chooseOptionFrom: for the variables dialog. Also, #chooseOptionFrom: should maybe fall back to a list when there is a very large number of items.

Best,
Christoph

________________________________
This is clearly a bias of learned abilities. Highly subjective. :-) Personally, I hope that newcomers will appreciate the improved UX consistency.

I like:
- The removal of that magic 7
- #chooseOptionFrom: as an explicit design element for buttons
- #chooseFrom: to look consistent even for smaller lists

I wish:
- Double-click would be as easy as single click
- Unlearning inconvenient habits would be easier

Note that the prior implementation offered the single-click experience only occasionally. Yet, a predictable UI is worth more points that a button interface that only appears by chance.

Best,
Marcel